BLUE TEAM LEVEL 2
Lessons, VIDEOS, TESTS AND in-browser labs
ACCESS TO THE TRAINING MATERIAL
BTL2 Academic Advisory Board & Technical Writers
With almost 100 years experience in the security industry, these security experts have ensured that the content and practical exam for BTL2 are scoped correctly, and reflect industry best-practice. This ensures that our students will have the most beneficial experience, and get the most value out of our certification.
A hands-on defensive security training course and certification, showcasing practical ability in defending networks and systems from cyber threats. No more multiple choice exams, get genuine security operations experience in-browser labs and a practical assessment.
benefits of btl2
BTL2 is designed to strengthen technical defenders that already have experience and exposure to security operations. BTL2 will develop you in new areas that make you stand out as an advanced defender. Below are some examples of the skills and experience you will gain.
- Identify, analyze, prioritize, and remediate vulnerabilities and security issues.
- Conduct static and dynamic malware analysis to gather indicators of compromise and details of the malware’s purpose.
- Writing SIEM detection rules, and tuning them to ensure they’re as efficient as possible by performing adversary emulation.
- Hunt on a simulated network to detect covert adversaries that have already breached the perimeter.
Who is the course for?
BTL2 is aimed at security professionals with 2-5 years experience in a practical role, but can be suitable for individuals that will commit to the training. Roles that we believe would benefit from this course include:
- Security Analysts
- Incident Responders
- Security Consultants
- Threat Hunters
- Malware Analysts
Below you can download our course syllabus to view the content that is covered in both the training course and the practical assessment (we’ve also provided a high-level overview in the tabs below!). The certification is split into 4 domains:
- Vulnerability Management
- Malware Analysis
- Advanced SIEM
- Threat Hunting
This domain is designed to build the foundations for the rest of the course. Covering areas such as management principles, networking and soft skills, this domain will ensure you have the fundamental knowledge which you’ll build on throughout BTL1.
- Introduction to Security Fundamentals
- Soft Skills
- Security Controls
- Networking 101
- Management Principles
We all know phishing is bad – but trust us, it’s really bad. By the end of this domain you’ll be able to confidently identify, analyze, and write reports on phishing emails, including any malicious URLs or attachments.
- Introduction to Emails and Phishing
- Types of Phishing Emails
- Tactics and Techniques Used
- Analysing URLs, Attachments, and Artifacts
- Taking Defensive Measures
- Report Writing
- Lessons Learned
- Phishing Response Challenge
From threat actors to their techniques and motivations, you’ll learn core threat intelligence concepts such as the pyramid of pain, the MITRE ATT&CK framework, and intelligence sharing.
- Introduction to Threat Intelligence
- Threat Actors and APTs
- Operational Threat Intelligence
- Tactical Threat Intelligence
- Strategic Threat Intelligence
- Malware and Global Campaigns
Sometimes we need to dig deeper, and that’s where forensics comes into play. Using special tools we can learn more about files, browsing history, and memory dumps to build up a timeline of events.
- Introduction to Digital Forensics
- Forensics Fundamentals
- Digital Evidence Collection
- Windows Investigations
- Linux Investigations
We have not yet announced the certification process for BTL2. We will provide more information at the launch event in January 2021.
We believe feedback is absolutely crucial to developing your skills, rather than just passing the certification. We will provide feedback to all students regardless of whether they pass or fail our exam, so you can understand your weak areas, and become a stronger security professionals.
Once a student passes the practical exam and becomes BTL1 certified, they will receive a number of rewards for their hard work:
- Become Blue Team Level 2 certified for 4 years
- BTL2 Acclaim digital badge
- BTL2 printed certificate
- BTL2 Silver challenge coin (gold if score 90%+ on first attempt)
In this domain of Blue Team Level 2, students will become familiar with the entire vulnerability management process, ensuring that they can detect, analyze, prioritize, and remediate vulnerabilities based on the risk posed to an organization.
- VM1) Introduction to Vulnerability Management
- VM2) Vulnerability Management Lifecycle
- VM3) Host Discovery
- VM4) Vulnerability Disocvery
- VM5) Analysis, Prioritization, and Threat Intelligence
- VM6) Reporting and Remediation
In this domain of Blue Team Level 2 students will learn exactly what malware is, and how to analyze it using static and dynamic tools and techniques, determining what the functionality is and collecting indicators of compromise that can be shared to protect other organizations.
- MA1) Introduction to Malware Analysis
- MA2) Setting up a a Malware Analysis Lab
- MA3) Static Malware Analysis
- MA4) Dynamic Malware Analysis
- MA5) Malware Analysis Practice
In this domain of Blue Team Level 2 students will use Splunk SIEM to write detection rules, tune rules to ensure they are as effective as possible and reduce false positives, and analyze data to detect and triage security events, similar to the role of a Senior SOC Analyst.
- AS1) Introduction to Advanced SIEM
- AS2) Setting up a SIEM Lab
- AS3) Detection Rule Writing
- AS4) Rule Tuning
- AS5) Adversary Emulation, Detection, and Analysis
In this domain of Blue Team Level 2 students will learn the methodology and techniques to perform threat hunts, working to identify covert and undetected threats that are already inside of the environment. Students will become familiar with Hunting ELK (HELK) to identify and combat threats.
- TH1) Introduction to Threat Hunting
- TH2) Setting up a Threat Hunting Lab
- TH3) Hunting on Endpoints
- TH4) Hunting Over the Network
- TH5) Threat Hunt Report Writing
Security Blue Team is dedicated to providing affordable, practical, and high-quality defensive cybersecurity training, certifications, and community events.